Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Northern Night Exposure

I was very bad last night, instead of going to bed at a good hour I spent time outside getting some night shots. I was praying that no one would see me because I was in my night gown, rubber boots and Canada Goose Jacket (counter the effects on my bare legs). It was a great night to take these shots because the wind was light, the air temperature was not too frosty, the sky was clear and the moon was full. However the northern lights left a lot to be desired.

STAR CHOICE
MONSTER HOUSE, feels closer to Halloween already!

No they are not orbs from spirits who haunt this earth, but rather super cool Moon flares. Because I shot right into the moon, light was hitting my lens and bouncing in all directions, you can really see the shape of the moon best on the farthest left flare.

7 comments:

Northern Mama said...

Hi Jen, Think I may have it. Singing "By George, I think she's got it".
Norm is too cute, but I think he has you buffaloed, that is the best perch for scoping out the food. The northern lights pictures are amazing. You underestimate your abilities. Deb/mom

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

That is a good shot of the lights! I'm still jumping around finding new northern blogs and jumped to yours from Kara and Matt's. I LOVE your dog! I totally understand your post about the puppies. It's the same here. It's very hard for me not to get attached to the ones here. Maybe when we get set up in our permanent store we just might!

Julie said...

you are lying! those are spirits that haunt the earth. customers at work tell me so all the time! they also see a jesus in rain water on cement from time to time.....

towniebastard said...

How long were you setting the exposure to get some of those shots? Last time I went to shoot northern lights I wasn't getting much.

jen said...

Townie Bastard,
The pictures with the street lights were bright enough to only do a 30 second exposure. For the other ones I had to switch to bulb and hold the shutter open, I didn't count, but I think it would have been over a minute. The problem with holding it open so long is any movement you make gets exaggerated in the shot. I had mine on a tri-pod and then used the timer for the shutter so I wasn't touching it at all. However for the shots I need to use "Bulb" I had to hold down the shutter, I think I will look into getting one of those off camera shutter releases.

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Hey there, great shot of the dush. How long do you leave the shutter open for your night shots?
Rob, of Rob and Tina!

Kennie said...

Jen, I am so jealous of you! We don't get the Northern Lights up here in Arctic Bay (at least that is what I have been told ...). Great shots!