Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rocked by the Flu

I was hit with a bad Flu bug like a Ninja out of the night two days ago. I had no idea what was happening to me when it started. I was in so much pain I thought I was going into early labor (I'm sure this is an over dramatic thought during a lot of first pregnancies). The pressure and pain was so bad it caused me to end up crumpled on the floor waiting for a moment of relief. This is when my husband found me. Clearly worried, but unable to express his feelings like as is normal, he could only say "I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do". I explained that it was something to do with my stomach, but I wasn't sure what was going on. I finally picked myself up and made it to our bed where I crashed and could only get out "Get me a bucket or a bowl!". Nathan disappeared and all I could hear from down the hall was him mumbling to himself about that he didn't know what kind of bowl, and what kind of bowl was it that I needed? At this point answering him was out of the question, so I thought that he would put two and two together and figure it out. When the poor guy came back with a tiny cereal bowl, I had to explain that I needed something big enough to be sick in. I have to wonder what he thought I was going to do with a cereal bowl? He quickly returned with a MASSIVE pot! Even though I was feeling so ill I had to giggle a little. He was trying so hard to help. The next day he went out to the store to get me soup and Gatorade, even though he hates going to the store by himself. And I was very thankful for him to be around, even if his intuitions are lacking sometimes. In most cases it's your mother who just knows what to do when your sick, and I can see what roll I will be having to fill once the baby arrives. He can teach her baseball.

8 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Oh you poor thing. I can just imagine him coming in your room with a cereal bowl. Poor Nathan. Are you feeling better?

Matthew & Michele said...

Hope you feel better Jen.

I keep telling Michele "But it's the thought that counts honey, the thought!"

:o)

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Husbands are funny creatures aren't they!

Your flu sounds like a nasty one! Hope you are back on your feet soon.

Aleks said...

I think Nathan's choice actually demonstrates he's very observant. After all you've barfed in a cereal bowl in this post!:
http://jenofnunavut.blogspot.com/2008/06/adventures-in-pregnancy.html

Aida said...

awww...hope you are feeling better..i cannot imagine how Nathan will be when you are REALLY in labor.I need not embarrass Frank with his story..lol

2030 NORTH said...

Drink flat "Cola", Coca Cola etc, a spoonful will work for a one year old as well.

Have you tried a "Kong" on a rope to give Talin(?} something to chew on and something to chase and retrieve?

jen said...

Thanks all, I'm feeling much better! Good thing the flu doesn't last long, but now it seems I've got a cold. Oh well Tis the season! lol

Aleks, I didn't say cereal bowl in that post...just bowl, which could imply any size, probably something on the larger side lol.

Dangerous River, actually my mom (who is a nurse) always told me to drink a coke when I was having stomach issues. It was the first thing other then water I had, made me feel a lot better. :) Tallinn has definately had a wide variety of Kongs and many other toys lol. He just gone through a recent "cleanse" of toys (meaning he went to town destroying them lol). The only thing that has survived is this stuffy that has a "rip rating", made so strong that even Tallinn had a hard time getting through it lol. If anyone is interested you can get those at www.mydogtoy.com

Anonymous said...

Are you feeling better? I just came back from vegas, where I had the plague the whole time, so I'm feeling lots of sympathy for you. Did you need me to fly up and take care of you? Did you need Nurse Brian to the rescue? I don't mind! :) -Bri