Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Playing the single parent, and it sucks.

We recently had my friend Julie come over and take some photos of us in front of my mother's "Bay store entrance" tree (this is what I call her Christmas tree because she does it up like the ones you see at the front of The Bay, you know where all the ornaments match). My tree, which is still not up, normally looks like Christmas barfed all over it, rather then the well thought out, choreographed tree at my mothers house.

This was supposed to be a family portrait, but Nathan was called away for a 3 week work course and I was left a single parent. I didn't really think much of it at first, but now that the 3 weeks are almost over and there are only 2 LONG days until daddy comes home, I am now realizing how ridiculously hard it is for single parents of the world. Now granted I am 6 months pregnant and feeling a little bit of extra burn because my body is hard at work making another person, while I run around, chasing a creature that has just been unleashed to the world walking, with no concept of electricity or stairs. I'm pretty freaking tired. This child also does not like to sit still, or stay in any one place for too long, this also includes mommy's lap. I call her my "free range chicken", because she is constantly on the go and gets very cranky when not left to her own devices. I've got my fingers crossed that the second baby is a little more chilled out. I'm going to start pumping Bob Marley into the womb.

Only 2 more days and the daddy can do all the picking up and lifting. And maybe a diaper too.
You can see more of Julie's exceptional photography here.

10 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I feel for you! I hate it when Matt gets called away for work.

And those pictures are gorgeous. I had already scoped them out on Julie's site. They are awesome! She is growing so much.

Karyn said...

Oh, I feel for you. My patience always seems to run out about two days before my husband gets home. Last June he was away for three weeks, but we barely noticed because the weather was gorgeous, we were outside and busy with school, trips etc.

The four weeks he's going to be away in February, though? Suuuuuuucks. I can't think of a worse month to be doing the single parent gig. Cold, dark, rainy, snowy. Bleah.

Glad to hear that you will soon have someone to take over the diaper duties!

lindsay Niedzielski said...

I totally get it - Corey was gone to Iqaluit for 9 days and the girls and I basically didn't leave the house...I really admire the people that do it on a permenant basis, they must have way more patience than I! Glad Nathan will be home soon to help. Great pictures too!!!!

Jaime said...

Wow, Ezri is really filling out. She looks so much older in that first picture. Scary how fast they grow up!

Aida said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aida said...

yeah i hear you, Frank dont travel as much anymore but it was hard when he did. he is gone for only 4 days this time but man it feels like forever especially when i have 2 kids that i am trying not to tape together so they stay put for a sec!

beautiful pics!

nature roots said...

hey jen.. looks like u are having fun there!!
she s cute!!

nature roots said...

happy b'day ezri!!!

Yi-dam said...

What a pleasant child))) I want him to live a happy life)))

Blogger said...

Join EverydayFamily TODAY and you will receive stage based pregnancy and baby email newsletters, offers and weekly coupon alerts as well as free baby samples, coupons, baby magazines and much more.

New Members are Entered to Win Free Diapers for a Entire Year!